You don’t need an extra bedroom or lots of space to set up a home office. Brilliant, productive workspaces can be set up in any spare corner with the right modern office desk and furniture placement. Got some unused space in your living room? Turn it into an inspiring workplace with these creative home office ideas!
4 Ways to Put an Office Desk in the Living Room
When it comes to setting up a home office, the living room is rarely the first area that comes to mind. After all, it’s one of the busiest parts of the house. However, it’s still possible to create a beautiful, productive workplace in one of its nooks. Just think out of the box. Explore your living room’s home office potential with these tips:
- Place the desk behind your sofa.
This works best if your sofa set is in one corner of the living room. Simply push your office desk behind the sofa, add a chair and a table lamp, then you can start checking off tasks from your to-do list. Consider getting a chair that accents your living room design instead of the usual swivel office chair to avoid breaking the ongoing theme.
- Set up the desk beside the fireplace.
Take advantage of the empty space beside your fireplace by turning it into a mini office. A sleek modern office desk with simple lines works well here. It won’t steal attention from the fireplace but will still add elegance to the area. Complete the look by hanging some art over your desk, a plant or two, and a small lamp for work lighting.
- Float the desk in one area.
If you have a large living room, you might want to follow an open office plan instead. Float the desk in front of a credenza or wall, and then delineate the area from the rest of the living room with a floor rug. For additional modern office furniture, try to stick to a minimalist or mid-century style so that your office can fit in seamlessly with the rest of the décor.
- Optimize your shelving with a desk.
A custom shelving unit is not just great for displaying décor and holding your books; it can also be a fantastic spot for your modern office desk. As you browse contemporary furniture stores in LA, look for compact shelving with some extra space at the lower level. Pull up a chair, and you have a stylish, organized space that turns shelving units into a multi-functional piece.
More Creative Tips for Your Home Office
Once you’ve found the perfect spot for your living room workstation, use these tricks to maximize the space:
- Less is more when you have limited square footage, so select office desks with built-in shelves to keep supplies within easy reach and prevent clutter.
- Get light fixtures that give way to the other occupants of the living room. For instance, the soft light from a table lamp will adequately illuminate your work without disrupting the film-viewing experience of your family in the same room.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment. A mid-century modern coffee table beside your desk can be a great alternative to a hefty shelving unit. Choose cozy and unique accent chairs that can be used for extra seating when you have guests over.
- Make your workspace blend into the living room by choosing transparent glass desks with slim legs.
Don’t let the size of your house limit your work potential – all you need is a stylish modern office desk, some extra space in your living room, and a splash of creativity to craft a haven of productivity in your home!