When it comes to revamping your pharmaceutical packaging designs, keep in mind that aesthetics is not the only factor that matters. You also need to consider the developments in the industry’s packaging and labeling areas.
Traceability, for instance, is now a priority. The same goes for pharmaceutical accountability. Customization coupled with high consumer demand in the patient level, meanwhile, presents the challenge of maintaining quality amid the production of tailored batches in short durations. Take note: these developments are just the tip of the iceberg. Read on to learn about these themes and more.
1. Fine Print, Barcodes, and Serialized Labeling
Studies and recent events show that label serialization has been—and will continue to be—a driving force in the pharmaceutical packaging industry. Here’s why.
- Most newly developed pharmaceutical packaging technologies enable serialized printing on various stages of the packaging process.
- They also enable the direct implementation of 2D barcodes on pills, capsules, bottles, vials, and other containers.
- Given the small surface allowance for labeling on individual drug dosages (e.g., pills, capsules, etc.), fine print is slowly becoming commonplace in today’s pharmaceutical packaging solutions.
- Many companies have adopted and implemented barcode identification into their medications in the recent years.
The serialization of pharmaceutical products enhances not only their traceability but also their supplier’s accountability. Both are imperative in building up the consumers’ trust. After all, patients and healthcare institutions are much more likely to rely on suppliers that are transparent about their products. It is worth noting that serialization is also a trend in cosmetic packaging.
2. Rise of Digital Technologies in the Supply Chain
Despite the advancement of technologies in just about every industry, many pharmaceutical companies still rely on paper-based processes to accomplish most of their supply-focused tasks. The increased demand and implementation of serialization in the recent months, however, indicate that this is slowly changing.
Many pharmaceutical companies are digitizing their supply chain sequence—with consistently positive results. The most prevalent effects include the enhanced efficiency of production, increased convenience in tracking transactions, and better decision making in the long run.
3. Heightened Demand for Personalized Care
The “one size fits all” approach is an outdated concept in today’s pharmaceutical landscape. Many things contribute to this development. These catalysts include—but are not limited to—the increased accessibility of health insurance, the ever increasing and ageing population, and the continuous development of diseases and conditions. Hence, the heightened demand for personalized care.
It is no longer advisable to mass produce pharmaceutical solutions. Personalized care means two things: shorter lead times for suppliers and smaller batch productions.
4. Increased Reliance on Complete Packaging Solutions
This particular trend is connected to the previous one. Due to the demand for customized medication, most pharmaceutical companies are hard-pressed to keep up with their clients’ demands. This is where contract packaging companies come into play.
Contract packaging agencies help pharmaceutical companies maintain the quality performance of their packaging operations by:
- providing shorter lead times;
- upholding the aesthetics and durability of their packaging;
- managing the mounting complexities of medication packaging; and
- offering flexible and strategic packaging solutions.
Aside from these benefits, contract packaging solutions also enable pharmaceutical companies to focus more on developing and enhancing their products.
Keep in mind that these trends address the pharmaceutical packaging industry in general. So, aside from these trends, it’s also imperative that you find out and consider the trends that apply to your products specifically. Partnering with an excellent contract packaging company is the easiest and most efficient way to do this. Make sure you hire the best agency to guarantee success!